Certified Practicing Accountant
Regi. Tax agent & Regi. ASIC Agent
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa

Education Tax Refund


You cannot claim Education Tax Refund / Rebate anymore on your tax return from 2011-12. Government has started paying Kids Bonus instead. This also means, all of your carried forwrad expenses from 2010-11 under this item is lost and cannot be claimed anymore.


The education tax refund (ETR) helps eligible families and independent students meet the cost of primary and secondary school education.


Families and approved care organizations can claim upto 50% of their eligible educational expenses if either of the following apply:

  • They were entitled to receive family tax benefit (FTB) Part A for the child
  • A payment was made for the child that stopped them from receiving FTB Part A for that child.

Independent students may also be eligible to claim the ETR.

For the period 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011, you can claim up to:

  • $794 for each eligible child in primary school - that is, a refund of $397
  • $1588 for each eligible child in secondary school - that is, a refund of $794

If your expenses exceed your refund limit for the year, any excess can go towards your following year's refund claim, as long as you are still eligible.

What you can claim?

For 2010-11 - Eligible expenses include the cost of buying, establishing, repairing and maintaining any of the following items:

  • Home computers and laptops
  • Computer-related equipment such as printers, USB flash drives, and disability aids to assist in the use of computer equipment for students with special needs
  • Computer repairs
  • Home internet connections
  • Computer software for educational use
  • School textbooks and other printed materials, including prescribed textbooks, associated learning materials, study guides and stationery and
  • prescribed trade tools for secondary school trade courses.
  • School uniform expenses you can't claim (However subject to legislation you may claim for 2011-12 if you have purchased after 1 Jul 2011)

Please contact us, as in certain circumstances, you may not required to lodge your tax return and still you can claim refund.


* Source Australian Taxation Office